Saturday, July 6, 2024

Optional Memorial of Saint Maria Goretti, virgin and martyr

 Lectionary: 382

Yes, days are coming,
says the LORD,
When the plowman shall overtake the reaper,
and the vintager, him who sows the seed;
The juice of grapes shall drip down the mountains,
and all the hills shall run with it.
I will bring about the restoration of my people Israel;
they shall rebuild and inhabit their ruined cities...


The Evangelist John saw the fulfillment of Amos's prophecy -- which we heard today -- both in the crowds who sought the Lord, and in the followers of the Way:

"Do you not say, ‘In four months the harvest will be here’? I tell you, look up and see the fields ripe for the harvest. The reaper is already receiving his payment and gathering crops for eternal life, so that the sower and reaper can rejoice together."

Penitents are transported into this joyful season as they turn away from whatever foolishness they have pursued to follow the way of the Lord. I think of the happy men and women I have met in Alcoholics Anonymous, and my own elation when I entered a similar Twelve-Step program. We may not yet fully appreciate the sacrifices we will have to make as we set out on the road. Everyone carries excess baggage that must be discarded sooner or later. And we will discover hidden places in our hearts which are not yet flooded with the healing, pleasant light of mercy. But we're glad to be in recovery. It's so much better than our past. 

Complacency may urge us to be satisfied with how far we've come, but the fellowship of penitents -- who may be family, fellow Church members, or support group friends -- often show us our faults and character defects. They do it gently by modelling better behavior and more gracious attitudes, or they may sometimes intervene. And occasionally voices are raised and we hear the Voice of Truth despite our smug self-satisfaction. For Our Lord does not have to be sweet, nice, and endearing.  

In every case, upon hearing the Word of God, those who belong to the Lord and know his voice experience relief and gladness. Even "bad news," when it's true, is better than not knowing. 

No sooner does the Lord plant the seed in our hearts than we know the joy of belonging to him, for his voice is beautiful as he pastures his flock and gathers us to his heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.