Saturday, July 27, 2024

Saturday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 400

Put not your trust in the deceitful words:"This is the temple of the LORD....!
Only if you thoroughly reform your ways and your deeds; if each of you deals justly with his neighbor...will I remain with you in this place, in the land I gave your fathers long ago and forever.


The Hebrew prophets relentlessly demanded repentance from their fellow Israelites. They often threatened terrible punishment; they sometimes promised blessings; but in either case they insisted that the People of God must be holy as God is holy. As a nation they should assess their attitudes, words, and deeds by the brilliant light of God's mercy. If they saw their corruption compared to the holiness of God; and if they saw how beautiful, fascinating, and compelling is God's goodness, they would see clearly how far short they had fallen. 

They would also realize how much more satisfied they would be in living by God's law. It's like comparing the beauty and ecstatic grace of a highwire walker to the misery of falling into the canyon below. They had only to trust in the LORD who promised to "remain with you in this place;" in good times and in bad. 

Given our knowledge of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, and our memories of the saints and martyrs of every age and nation, we can recognize how the Lord suffers our losses and celebrates our gains. He is our blessed and delightful companion; and his company is worth far more than anything this world can offer. 

Despite the temptations to shortcuts, to Easy Street, to sin, we turn back to the narrow path and enter by his gate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.