Monday, July 15, 2024

Memorial of Saint Bonaventure, Franciscan Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 389

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth.
I have come to bring not peace but the sword.
For I have come to set
a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
and one’s enemies will be those of his household.


As I read the Gospels I often wonder how lay folks apply this teaching to themselves; it seems they are addressed principally to mendicants like myself. The Lord was a wandering preacher, and he sent his disciples to the far corners of the earth as wandering preachers. How does the Word of God speak to sedentary people? 

And yet it obviously does for millions of people study the Bible, Old and New Testaments, daily; and find reassurance, challenge, and guidance in their mysterious pages. Perhaps the wonder begins with the Lord's uncompromising demand, "For I have come to set a man against his father.... and one’s enemies will be those of his household."

Our obedience to God and our fascination with his word begins with the apartness we feel when we come before the Lord. It begins in that secret, holy place within my heart -- an apartment -- which I occupy alone, and only God can enter. 

Sometimes we try to invite others into that place. Or we think they should want to come in. Or we think they can although its impossible. Sometimes we feel invaded by others, by their opinions about us, or their resentments, demands, and expectations. They almost crowd us out of our apartness, that sacred, secret, inviolable apartment. 

And then the Lord enters and demands, Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me," or, as Saint Luke teaches the same thing, 

‘Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple."

Hearing and heeding that word we understand Saint Augustine's prophetic word, "Our hearts are restless until we rest in thee." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.