Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Wednesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time Lectionary: 391

Lectionary: 391

I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.

Today's gospel comes in two parts with a transitional sentence connecting them. 

It begins with the Lord's praise of his Father for revealing wonderful mysteries to the childlike; that is, to those who are open and willing to see. Childlike Christians eagerly join Jesus in praise of God's wisdom, beauty, goodness, and authority. They revel in the knowledge of "the Lord of Heaven and Earth," finding that knowledge more satisfying than anything the world can offer. He is their rock.

I love you, LORD, my strength,
LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer,
My God, my rock of refuge,
my shield, my saving horn, my stronghold!
Praised be the LORD, I exclaim!
I have been delivered from my enemies. Psalm 18:2

  Their simple patience before God's grace also allows them to wait on the revelation. 

For the vision is a witness for the appointed time,
a testimony to the end; it will not disappoint.
If it delays, wait for it,
it will surely come, it will not be late. Habakkuk 2:3

They faithful are not troubled by this world's fanciful opinions about God: "Maybe there is no God; maybe God doesn't care; maybe God makes mistakes....." They are not entertained by idiocy. They do not toy with such notions, allowing them to creep into their consciousness and trouble their faith. They have learned to "Keep it simple;" and faith in God is simple. 

Jesus's next remark, which concerns God's will, is the transition:  

All things have been handed over to me by my Father.

We must indeed be simple hearts to believe that God has handed over to a human being -- this man standing before us -- "all things." 

The Gospel according to Saint Matthew will conclude with the same teaching. But it will have been vindicated by the miracle of Easter, and doubt about this man's authority must evaporate like the morning dew. The Lord's resurrection leaves no doubt about his announcement, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me." 

And finally today, the Lord adds:

No one knows the Son except the Father,
and no one knows the Father except the Son
and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

Jesus comes to us as an Apostle, "one who is sent." He is the Father's apostle, the Ambassador of Truth. And the Trinity's intimate knowledge and love of one another is perfect. There are no secrets between them. If Jesus does not know when the final hour will come, he doesn't want to know until the Father reveals it to him. 

Like him, the childlike ignore this world's absurd questions, futile threats, and empty promises as we wait on the Lord to teach, reassure, heal, forgive, and guide us day by day. If there are many things we don't understand, we don't need to. 

But we know more than the Lord's opponents can imagine, for we know how to Be still before the LORD; and wait for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.