Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Memorial of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Priest

Lectionary: 403

When I found your words, I devoured them;
they became my joy and the happiness of my heart,
Because I bore your name,
O LORD, God of hosts.
I did not sit celebrating
in the circle of merrymakers;


Perhaps there is nothing on earth or the heavens that charms every single human being. I know devout Catholic men who find no pleasure in reading the Word of God. The Bible may instruct them but it does not delight them. An English major, I am amazed at that; but I've always enjoyed words and I try to handle them with the reverence of musicians for their instruments or mechanics, their tools. 

Jeremiah found delight in the words which came from God. They were like treasures buried in a field for him, although he had found them in plain sight. Everybody watched him discover these amazing words but many took no interest. 

It seems to me we should cultivate a delight in God's word, and especially in the psalms. They have been called "The Prayer Book of the Church." The disciples of Jesus were familiar with the psalms; Peter and John were joining the Jews in the temple to sing the Evening Prayers when they stopped to heal a crippled man. The Church, born from the Jewish religion like Eve from Adam, never stopped singing the psalms in the praise of God. As we delight in his presence, we delight in his praise with the psalms and canticles of the Old and New Testaments. 

Husbands and wives often cultivate the same pleasures so that they might enjoy spending time together. They might enjoy the same hobbies like walking, travel, gardening, or dining. They might attend movies, concerts, or the theater. Many take endless, shared delight in their children and grandchildren. They like to eat together with no one else in the room. And they often attend the same church and offer the same prayers. Many young couples decide they should worship in the same way, so that their marriage and friendship might grow stronger. 

In the same way, it seems to me, we should expect, search for, and find pleasure in the Bible, and in the Church's teachings, doctrine, and traditions. We make ourselves interested in discussions and controversies, for religion is nothing if not controversial. We don't have to get passionate but we should know what's being discussed.  

And always, we should appreciate that others find certain religious images, prayers, persons, and spirits fascinating. I might not be interested in some obscure saint of the tenth century -- or might have found no reason to be interested in them -- but I can appreciate that others find them fascinating and delightful. 

I met a fellow in recovery whose wife had a particular devotion to Saint Dymphna. He loved her very much and after she died his grief forced him to seek help for his drinking. He mentioned his wife's devotion to me but I was not familiar with the 7th-century Irish martyr. Together, we discovered the reason for her fascination, Dymphna is the Patroness of Domestic Violence Victims. Had he known sooner, he might have sought help sooner. He had never realized how his alcoholism affected his moods and behavior, and caused her such suffering. 

"When I found your words, I devoured them."
"When a man finds a treasure in a field, he hides it again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."

Let us cultivate pleasure in God's word, and take less interest in whatever the "circle of merrymakers" finds amusing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.