Friday, November 5, 2021

Friday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 489

But I have written to you rather boldly in some respects to remind you, because of the grace given me by God to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in performing the priestly service of the Gospel of God, so that the offering up of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.


After the Acts of the Apostles, there are not many references to the priesthood in the New Testament and almost all of them are in the Letter to the Hebrews, which I particularly love. 

So the word catches my eye in Paul's Letter to the Romans. He seems to refer to what has been called "the priesthood of the faithful." That is, the priestly ministry that the Church performs in the world, a ministry personified by ordained bishops and priests but nonetheless an act of the entire congregation, 

The word reappears frequently in the Book of Revelations, again without specifying a priestly caste within the Church. It is the whole Church, the whole Body of Christ which continually and forever offers Jesus's sacrifice for the world. It is a necessary, vital sacrifice. Without it neither the Church nor the world can hope for deliverance or salvation, meaning or purpose. 

When so many intelligent people claim to be "spiritual and not religious," we can expect the ministry and duty of priesthood to disappear altogether. Fellows like me seem like medieval relics in the secular environment of the VA hospital. Indeed, although nearly everyone calls me "Father," the official VA insists I am a chaplain; and would pare my ministry of priest, leaving me as a spiritual counselor to those Veterans who have suffered the horrors of combat. We should pick up the pieces that the psychiatrists could not treat with chemistry.
 
But, in fact, the ministry of the priest-chaplain is to represent the entire church and offer the sacraments, especially of Eucharist, Healing, and Penance. There is no priesthood without the church; no communion, healing, or reconciliation without the sacrifice of the whole church. 

If I weren't called Father by so many people -- Catholics, Protestants, and Muslims -- I might begin to think I am a clandestine priest secretly bringing the presence of the Lord in a hostile environment. There is certainly a history of that, and it's not ancient history. 

The secular world today, with its predilection for "spiritual," challenges Catholics to be "religious." We must do our priesthood, offering daily sacrifices of prayer and good works for friends, family, neighbors, and enemies. We don't need chasubles, albs, and stoles but no one should doubt who we are by our appearance. We wear the love of God on our sleeves, lapels, shirts, and faces. We practice the love of Jesus -- visible, real, undeniable -- in all our affairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.