Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Optional Memorial of Saint Margaret of Scotland

 Lectionary: 498

And Jesus said to him,
“Today salvation has come to this house
because this man too is a descendant of Abraham. 
For the Son of Man has come to seek
and to save what was lost.”

 

Many of us find the challenging message of this delightful story hard to swallow. Zacchaeus is a charming fellow and Jesus is obviously taken at the sight of this fellow with his expensive clothes and look of refinement perched like a schoolboy in a tree. He might have said, “You had me at….”


But “…they grumbled.” Saint Luke does not say exactly who they are. Were they disagreeable Pharisees who seem to turn up in every story; the disciples, who have their own misgivings about Jesus and his mission; or the curious people of Jericho? Perhaps they are people in general, and you and me in particular.


Which of us doesn’t have an unacknowledged but fairly precise definition of who is salvageable and who is not? Who should be greeted and who should be shunned. If I were called out on my definition I might deny it; but my eyebrows go up when I meet unexpected types among the disciples. There are any number of teachings and parables in the Bible about that sort of thing precisely because we all do it and won’t admit it.


As Jesus did with Zacchaeus, we have to discover the charm of each person. That discovery can begin with those close to me, or with strangers, or with myself. As a hospital chaplain I should expect to find it in each patient. 


(The VA created a helpful video of individuals passing through hospital corridors. Most had a trailing thought balloon of anxieties and worries; some were relieved with good news; some were elated with new opportunity. Hospital staff should be aware of, and perhaps curious about, the things on people's minds when they find them wandering or confused.) 


Jesus saw a descendant of Abraham who wanted to be saved. He didn't bother to see the reactions of the crowd. We would do well to see as God sees and to know as God knows.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.