Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Memorial of Saint Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 493

Then he said to him, “Stand up and go;
your faith has saved you.”


Incidents of terrorism, both home-grown and imported, have palpably increased fearfulness. People my age remember when children were left in cars, as I was, while their parents went shopping. The car windows, of course, were wide open and the slightest breeze passed through it. It was no hotter on the inside than the out. 

But windows are shut and cars are locked and, in the heat of summer, children within them die of heat. We can blame the careless parents or we can ask why did we become so fearful. 

Faith is the opposite of fear. Faith trusts in the Lord and, when things go badly as they might, still believes in God's providence without regret. 

Faith has less anxiety and, thereby, greater security; for security cannot be insured by any amount of money. It comes from within. 

Faith understands that bad things happen, and that some people should not be trusted. It acts prudently and does not rush into dangerous situations, but neither does it fantasize and try to avoid every worst possible outcome

Faith believes that God walks with us today, even on the road to Jerusalem and Calvary as he did in today's gospel. And the Lord will be with us tomorrow even if terrible things happen in the meanwhile. Nothing will happen to me today that God and I cannot handle

Today's gospel tells us of the second time Jesus assured someone that their faith has healed him. In the seventh chapter he spoke kindly to a forgiven woman“Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” In the eighteenth chapter, he healed a blind man and assured him, “Have sight; your faith has saved you.”

Having faith, I am told, is like being pregnant. You either is or you ain't. There is no little bit

When today's patron, Pope Saint Leo, went to talk with Attila the Hun, he might never have returned to Rome. The barbarian was ruthless. But Leo believed in God and Rome was spared. 

Let us believe and act boldly in our confidence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.