Saturday, November 20, 2021

Saturday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 502

That the dead will rise even Moses made known in the passage about the bush,when he called  ‘Lord’ the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.” 


As I understand, the curious mystery of sexuality, which enabled rapid evolution like never before, also introduced death. Sexual creatures of the plant and animal kingdoms are "programmed" to die, unlike fungus and one-celled creatures who multiply by dividing. There are critters in our guts that are literally billions of years old; so long as their environment is hospitable they flourish. But sexed creatures like you and me get old and die unless something worse happens sooner. So when Jesus says in today's gospel, 

"...those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. They can no longer die, for they are like angels..." 

I wonder if he is on to something it's taken scientists two millennia to notice. Sexless angels don't die either! We can have some fun speculating with that nonsense so long as we understand we're not paying attention to the Gospel. 

In any case, we do die and the only questions is how well we do it. If we practice dying to self by daily sacrifices of prayer, time, generosity, patience, and so forth we'll be ready for The Big One when it comes. 

I have known people who lived recklessly, cultivating bad habits and lousy attitudes -- defying death -- and fought rather pathetically against it when it came for them. I have known others who greeted our Sister Death as a fellow servant of Jesus Christ. 

The choice is obvious. The scribes and Sadducees in today's gospel finally admit he is clever and has an answer to their every objection. Will they finally believe in him and follow him to Calvary? 

That is an entirely different question and demands a very different response from idle speculation about fungi, amoeba, and sexual creatures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.