Thursday, November 4, 2021

Memorial of Saint Charles Borromeo, Bishop

 Lectionary: 488

I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.


Do I need to point out that Jesus was speaking tongue in cheek when he spoke of "the ninety-nine who have no need of repentance?" 

Only a fool would think they have no need to repent. And yet so few Americans celebrate the Sacrament of Penance. Among the hundreds of Veterans I see each year, I don't hear a half-dozen confessions. Nor do I hear many when asked to celebrate Mass in a local parish. 

What happened? Can anyone claim a knowledge of scripture without a profound awareness of guilt? Can anyone look at the cross of an innocent man and not suppose they put him there? 

Americans incarcerate more citizens and a higher percentage of its citizens than any nation on earth. One in five incarcerated persons in the world is in the United States. 

Is it pure coincidence that Jesus refers to ninety-nine who do not repent versus the one who does in his teaching when 1% of our citizens -- actually 1.07% of working age adults -- are behind bars?  

These are our children and yet we suppose we're innocent of their crimes. Is the cost of freedom imprisonment of so many people? 

I might understand the cost of freedom to own guns is the death of school children, but is the cost of freedom from wearing a mask the death of children, adults, and seniors? And yet we pay the cost of this imaginary freedom with neither shame nor guilt. 

The Lord calls us to the banquet of penance where prosperity, security, and joy abound. The scriptures warn us of the consequences of refusal, and they are dreadful. The scriptures also invite us to freedom in trust, generosity, and freedom with one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.