Sunday, November 21, 2021

The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

 Lectionary: 161

,…one like a Son of man received dominion, glory, and kingship; all peoples, nations, and languages serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

 

That first line above may be the boldest and most extraordinary claim of the Gospel: “…one like a Son of man received dominion, glory, and kingship….


Most people would prefer to worship anything which is not “one like a Son of man;” that is, a fellow human being. Many will surrender their lives to a “superman” in the Nietzschean mold of Hitler, Mussolini, Trump, or Stalin. They might worship power, beauty, or success; fame, good health, or some romantic ideals like democracy, fascism, Nazism, or communism. They might even worship a nation, “nature” or “humanity.” 


But they do not believe a real human being of flesh and blood, "born of a woman," can “be found worthy” of all-consuming love, admiration, or authority.


Indeed, it is rare, as Saint John, the Seer of Patmos, demonstrated in a moment of dramatic tension. First, he described his profound distress:

'Then I saw a mighty angel who proclaimed in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?” But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to examine it. I shed many tears because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to examine it.


But the seer’s grief was relieved when “One of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. The lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, has triumphed," and he alone was worthy “to open the scroll with its seven seals.”

As Christians we take God at his Word. But every Christian must ponder this mystery and claim it for their own. Everyone must say something like, 

I believe what the Church has taught me about Jesus of Nazareth. He was an innocent, good man who antagonized many people including both government and religious authorities, by healing the sick, raising the dead, teaching the poor, and demonstrating the coming of God's kingdom.

I believe the Church's teaching that this man was arrested and tried by those we would consider legitimate authorities; he was condemned to a shameful death and crucified.

But God raised him up, revealing him as the Only Begotten Son of God, and...

... therefore I believe this man is worthy of my love, trust, sacrifice, worship, and adoration. God has revealed to me through the ministry of his Church that I should love Jesus -- and none other -- with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.


While it's certainly true that Jesus is God regardless of my opinion and response to him, this is my decision, and will be my witness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.