Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, Religious

 Lectionary: 499

R.    Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.
But I in justice shall behold your face; on waking, I shall be content in your presence.

R.    Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.


Saint Elizabeth of Hungary is for us a kind of "midway saint" in the sense that she lived during the early thirteenth century, midway between the time of Jesus and our time. She lives also in Europe, midway between North America and Israel. She learned from those who went before her, added her own way of the gospel, and passed it on to us. 

I'm sure many American parents have ambivalent feelings about her brief life. Born to the aristocracy, she married well -- a king -- and bore children while yet a teenager. When she heard from missionary friars of her contemporaries Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi she became enamored of this new life of poverty. Realizing that Jesus was born in poverty and never left that place, she also wanted to be poor. Her fond husband indulged her making huge donations from his wealth to the poor. But when he died young and she continued this prodigal giving, his family turned her and her children out of the palace. 

Eventually, following the impulse of the Holy Spirit and attentive to the discipline of her Franciscan spiritual director, she surrendered her children to her husband's family and set out on the low road of poverty. She settled in an unsanitary hospital for the poor where, exhausted and spent, she died at the age of twenty-four. We honor her today as the female patron saint of the Third Order of Saint Francis. 

Saint Elizabeth, queen of Hungary, heard the gospel that she must "hate" her own parents and children, brother and sister, riches and security, and even her own self. In those days few spiritual masters considered the maintenance of one's health as piety. They lacked the knowledge of such things; and given the life expectancy of that era, investing ones's energy in good health was throwing good money after bad. The individual could not expect a second chance after a mortal illness; you made your decision and kept it for as many years as God might give you. 

Elizabeth chose the following of Jesus in evangelical poverty. There was no virtue in wealth, luxury, or security; nor were there any assurances for aristocrats. They could die as quickly as the poor, or suffer assassination from their enemies, friends, and family. Why not give her life for Christ?

She sang with the psalmist, "Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full." And that should also be our morning prayer. Nothing in this world can last long; our only security is the Word of God with its promises and blessings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.