Sunday, November 29, 2020

First Sunday of Advent

 Lectionary: 2

You, LORD, are our father, our redeemer you are named forever. Why do you let us wander, O LORD, from your ways, and harden our hearts so that we fear you not?
Return for the sake of your servants...

The scriptures, although they are ancient and seem to come down to us from a world that is all but alien to our experience of technology, economics, society, and politics, often sound very familiar. What Christian doesn't ask of God, "Why do you let us wander into sin?" 

Today, as we enter the Season of Advent, our faithful Church, ever ancient, ever new, invites us to turn away from our wandering and, again, learn the Fear of the Lord

Rightly do the ancient authorities distinguish between ordinary fear and the fear of the Lord. No one needs to teach me a fear of heights, fire, or wild animals. And it takes little experience to learn a dread of electricity, speeding vehicles, and deadly weapons. But we must cultivate the fear of the Lord. It is a lifelong pursuit, a privilege and pleasure, a source of courage and confidence. Those who fear the Lord fear nothing else. There might come a day when I master high voltage electricity, fast cars, and deadly weapons; and feel only a healthy respect for them; but I will always be a trembling novice in God's Presence. 

There are innumerable stories in the scriptures of men and women who, realizing they are in God's presence, tremble with fear. In many cases, they are commanded to put their fears aside and listen to what is said. In some cases -- I think especially of Moses before the burning bush -- they are told, "This is a holy place!" They should act with reverence; that is, with holy fear. 

The world around us has no time for reverence as they rush pellmell into the Christmas shopping season. They did not hesitate to announce its coming weeks ago! Some have already put up their Christmas trees! 

But as Advent comes upon God's holy people we pause for a moment, as we might in the entrance of a colossal cathedral. We look at ourselves. Am I dressed for the occasion? Am I ready to experience this place, or should I come back later, when I have settled some things? Will I see the mysteries enacted again, as I have before, or am I too preoccupied with immediate crises? 

Even as we pause to breathe, compose, and recollect we hear the Church pleading,

Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down,
with the mountains quaking before you,
while you wrought awesome deeds we could not hope for,
such as they had not heard of from of old.

Advent has arrived; our prayer has begun. And so we pray, 
Lord, make us turn to you; let us see your face and we shall be saved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.