Friday, November 27, 2020

Friday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 507


Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth. 
The former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God, 
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

 

As assistant pastor of a couple of churches and the pastor of one, I presided over many weddings, and I never saw a bride who wasn't gorgeous. But I have to admit, I sometimes wondered during the prenuptial discussions and the rehearsals, how this was going to work out. By the dressmaker's genius, the art of cosmetologists, and God’s mercy they were drop-dead beautiful. And the grooms were usually presentable too.

As a Catholic and a priest, I sometimes wonder how this Bride of the Church might be "adorned as beautiful as a bride for her husband." The husband, in this case, is the Lord himself; and we hope his bride will do what all brides should do, make him look good!

Revelation says little about the veil, dress, or jewelry of this visionary bride, but much about the fabulous city, the New Jerusalem, which is more glorious than the Emerald City of Oz. it’s twelve apostolic foundations are made of precious stones: jasper, sapphire, chalcedony, emerald, sardonyx, carnelian, chrysolite, beryl, topaz, chrysoprase, hyacinth, and amethyst. In whatever way you imagine this vision, see it as sparkling and splendid. It gleams like the Transfigured Jesus on Mount Tabor, his spectacular resurrection, and his second coming on the clouds of heaven.


How might the actual Church, familiar to you and me, resemble such a vision of beauty? My first reaction might not be good. Like everyone else I've had issues with the Church and sometimes spoken badly of her. 


But then I remember the legend of the deacon Saint Lawrence. He readily agreed to hand over all the treasure of the Church to the emperor who demanded her reputed wealth. As treasurer of the Church he had little choice but to agree, and he asked only three days to amass her assets into one place. When the emperor arrived in the piazza where they had agreed to meet, he found a throng of poor, sick, blind, lame, possessed, and pathetic human beings.

“Behold the treasure of the Church!” Lawrence declared.

The emperor was not amused.

Catholics see the splendor of God in the crucifixion of Jesus. We admire his sacred wounds as precious jewels. We too -- wounded, disappointed, pathetic human beings, claiming for ourselves only our faith in Jesus Christ – are gorgeous in God’s sight.


Our religion teaches us this extraordinary way of seeing. Given that the immense power, beauty, glory, and wisdom of God stagger the imagination, we turn to the opposite. We see the glory of the Incarnation in a single star in a dark sky; we see enormous power in a helpless infant in a manger. A small piece of bread contains the God of the Universe. We are overwhelmed by immensity cloistered in the dear womb of the Virgin, as John Donne said. 

 

Our vision surpasses all the cheap thrills of this world's military parades, Hollywood extravaganzas, and Super Bowl spectacles. Saint John suggests the glory with his twelve sparkling stones, as we see the Lord face to face during the Mass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.