Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Memorial of Saint Charles Borromeo, bishop

 Lectionary: 487

My beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For God is the one who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work.


I have told the story on this blog of the boy who said, "I would never commit suicide; my Dad would kill me if I did."

Despite the obvious contradiction embedded in his remark, I say the lad had a proper "fear" of his father. If he does not know it yet, he will come to appreciate his respect for his father as intense love. 

There is a sequel: A young man has said, "I would never commit suicide. It would kill my Dad if I did." He now knows his father as a fellow adult who has sacrificed much for his son, and has intense feelings for his children. His fate is bonded with them. He would not want to live if one of his children did such a horrible thing.  

And finally, the adult Christian must say, "I would never kill myself; it would kill my God if I did."

And so we work out our salvation in fear and trembling, and intense, loyal love for the Lamb who was slain. 

It is true that some people have never learned that fear of the Lord. Either they were traumatized with teachings about a cruel, vindictive God, or they were never given any religion. We thank God for the faith we have been taught, and the fear we have learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.