Sunday, November 15, 2020

Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 157


But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness, for that day to overtake you like a thief. For all of you are children of the light and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness. Therefore, let us not sleep as the rest do, but let us stay alert and sober.

 


“Integrity is doing the right thing even if nobody is watching.”

I often hear that sentiment in the VA hospital. There are posters which promote integrity; hospital employees are reminded; and patients repeat it, especially those who struggle with addictions.

As a priest, I hope that I am what I pretend to be; I hope that, in the end, I will be found worthy to have been called father.


Christians universally believe a judgement day must come. Many read Jesus’s prediction in Matthew 25 of the coming of the King on clouds of glory, with attendant angels blowing trumpets and gathering all the nations of the earth –as a literal description of That Day. It is not just another fascinating parable.


Elitists, atheists, and nones might boast that “Virtue is its own reward;” and they practice integrity without the fear of a judge, judgement, or the Day of Judgement. But they don’t sound persuaded. Sinners like you and me know how easy it is to forget, overlook, and dismiss the moral shortcuts we take when no one is looking. We hope our judge is looking!


That hope is an awareness of God’s benevolent gaze; it is a consciousness of God’s guiding spirit which both directs and encourages our right behavior. We call that awareness the fear of the Lord, which is the beginning of wisdom.


When asked why do I have to pray each day, I might reply, “I am afraid not to!” And I might ask in reply, “Why do you have to kiss your wife when you go off to work each day? Doesn’t she know you love her?” And he might wisely reply, “I’d be afraid not to!”


And then I might turn and ask my Christian friend, “Where does that ‘have to…” come from? Why do you suppose I have to act as I do, and you do not? Are we not under the same judge?”

I wonder if his idea of freedom is skewed by his notion of individuality. His freedom sounds like “Doing what I want to do with no one to tell me otherwise.” Can freedom have a purpose without God’s authoritative guidance? Is freedom a rudderless sailboat in high seas? What can it attain or accomplish if it is not directed by the God who is love? True freedom is a graceful, purposeful willingness, guided by God’s Spirit. Any thinking person should despise false, self-serving notions of freedom

Integrity is knowing, feeling, and enjoying the Presence of the Lord at all times, in every circumstance. As Saint Paul says, we “are children of the light and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness.” In this passage he echoed Psalm 139,

“If I say, “Surely darkness shall hide me, and night shall be my light.”

Darkness is not dark for you,

and night shines as the day.

Darkness and light are but one.”


The Fear of the Lord welcomes the Divine oversight, discipline, and judgement as the Spirit guides us into God’s Kingdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.