Thursday, November 19, 2020

Thursday of the Thirty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 500

“Worthy are you to receive the scroll and break open its seals, for you were slain and with your Blood you purchased for God those from every tribe and tongue, people and nation. You made them a kingdom and priests for our God, and they will reign on earth.”

 


In today’s first reading we hear a choir of heavenly voices declaring that Jesus -- the Lamb who was slain -- is worthy to receive the scroll and break open its seals. I don’t often hear the word worthy in public discussion.


Our secular culture does not readily recognize worth in people, though it doesn’t hesitate to estimate the worth of property, stocks, bonds, and money. People must earn their standing and position. Their worth is another matter, often estimated with tawdry symbols like $, €, ¥ or £.

 

Trust, of course, is a matter of degrees. We give and withhold trust, measuring it out as we consider persons worthy of it. Naivete is often too ready to trust; cynicism, too reluctant. People marry those they deem supremely worthy of trust; they incarcerate those who have utterly failed the test. We entrust people with offices in government, business, and religion; and hope they prove trustworthy.


It is no small matter to regain the trust of those we have betrayed. We may prove ourselves trustworthy a thousand times over in our own minds, but those proofs might carry no weight for those who were betrayed. If we ask them to trust us again, to bestow that merit upon us despite what has happened, we must wait upon their decision. We can neither control nor force them.


As I have considered the troubles of our time and especially the complaints against God, the Church, and religion in general, I have thought that this Man Jesus is worthy of my trust. I have contemplated his life, teachings, sufferings, and death and realized he trusted his Father utterly, and invites me also to trust his Father. I believe his faith in the Father was vindicated when he was raised up on the third day. His resurrection was far more than a resuscitation, which could not have justified the pain and humiliation he endured. By the resurrection the Father has revealed the Glory he gives to his Son, who has proven himself worthy to be the Son of God. He could not have done so -- he could not be the Son of God -- without the Crucifixion. 


Moreover, with all the Church I am drawn to this demonstration of trust and fidelity. If a devoted husband and a faithful wife naturally draw admirers who want to know them better, all the more are we drawn to this Man and His Father. As he said, "When I am lifted up I will draw all people to myself." As iron is drawn to a magnet, so we must come to God. 


This trust is a gift we give to God. It is an oblation, a gift received which we give back. We could not believe in, or hope in, or give love to God if we had not received the gift of the Holy Spirit from God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ. 


So even as we come to believe in God -- that God is trustworthy -- we prove ourselves worthy of God's trust. 


In that way, again, the Lord leads us, for, as the angels say: 

Worthy are you to receive the scroll

and break open its seals,

for you were slain and with your Blood you purchased for God

those from every tribe and tongue, people and nation.

You made them a kingdom and priests for our God,

and they will reign on earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.