Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Wednesday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time


“Great and wonderful are your works,
Lord God almighty.
Just and true are your ways,
O king of the nations.
Who will not fear you, Lord,
or glorify your name?
For you alone are holy.
All the nations will come
and worship before you,
for your righteous acts have been revealed.”


When you love someone you're really happy when they're given a great reward. You have admired this person, and enjoyed their company, and nothing could be more wonderful than to see that person admired, enjoyed, and loved by others. Should anyone ask about you during a celebration in their honor, you would name your relationship to that person. But you're not there to tout yourself; you don't want to take any honor from them. 
At this time of year, we consider the Great Day when Jesus Christ will be revealed to the nations as the Lord of Glory. That revelation will be more than a sign in the sky, it will be as real as an earthquake. It will be an undeniable, unavoidable crisis which will permanently, irrevocable alter everything. Something like an epidemic only more so. Far more so. 
And some people will complain about it for it will be their doom. They will finally realize what we have been saying all along, that "There is no other name in heaven or earth by which we are to be saved!" 
And so we look forward to that wonderful Day of Judgement when the King of Glory comes. 
If we have some trepidation in our hearts, recalling our past sins, we should immediately brush those aside. Our God is God, the Lord and Creator of the Universe, who made Heaven and Earth! Why would I bother to worry about my particular place in Our Savior's Kingdom. Am I so important that I should worry about myself? Am I so faithless that I doubt the Lord will restore all things with Mercy and Justice? God knows I could not do it! Nor anyone else. 
We look forward to that day when the Saints Go Marching In. It will be God's Great Day. Let nothing slow its approach, or spoil its perfect beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.