Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Optional Memorial of Saint Martin de Porres, religious

 Lectionary: 486

The first said to him, ‘I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; I ask you, consider me excused.’
And another said, ‘I have  purchased five yoke of oxen
and am on my way to evaluate them; I ask you, consider me excused.’
And another said, ‘I have just married a woman, and therefore I cannot come.’


On this day, as we begin what promises to be a long wait for the election results, we celebrate Saint Martin de Porres and we hear two intriguing readings. 

First there is that all-important song from Philippians 2, and then this parable of the gracious king and his reluctant guests. Finally, there is America's first saint, an African slave. 

Jesus describes some marvelously colorful excuses for their refusal to attend the dinner, but we might wonder what was really going on. Excuses rarely describe the truth. Perhaps they knew the king, after inviting the usual list of elites, would gather the riffraff also. He had pulled this stunt before. He always prepared too much food, and arranged a hall that was far too large. They didn't like the man and they despised being forced to mingle with "the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame." 

In Saint Luke's version of this familiar story, the king's servants are not badly treated, nor does he send an army to destroy the invited guests. But the curse is the same, "...none of those who were invited will taste my dinner." 

Saint Paul's Song of Humiliation reminds us of the way of salvation. It is not the high road to wealth, security, power, or luxury. It is the low road of liberty, equality, and fraternity; it is the road of service to others. It is a willingness to accept God's invitation to go wherever he leads us, and to love whomever he gives us. 

We pray that the many elections throughout the United States will reflect the wisdom and humility of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.