Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, Franciscan Tertiary

Lectionary: 498

So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, ‘I am rich and affluent and have no need of anything,’ and yet do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.
I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich....

 

I don’t like to write a harangue. I know I sometimes plant one in this blog and wish I hadn’t. But when certain passages of scripture are harangues, a sermon, homily, or reflection upon it will necessarily sound the same. And so…


The Spirit of Revelation describes the American mindset in his words to the Church of Laodicea, although Americans do not ordinarily admit they are “rich and affluent.” They might allow that "the poorest man in this country is still better off than anyone in Asia" -- which was true fifty years ago -- but so long as there is "someone richer than me" they cannot boast of their wealth. 

For that reason, not many Americans will take to heart Pope Francis’s admonitions in his recent encyclical, Fratelli Tutti. They do not see themselves as greedy, nor do they aspire to great wealth.

Trained from their earliest years to compete in school and on the playground, in the family against their siblings, and often against their own parents, Americans are impelled by the fear of losing, not by greed. They must succeed at all costs and never fail. They need unconditional surrender from their enemies, without regard to the enemy's merit or worth. 

This gut-loathing of second place, disappointment, failure, and loss – when it’s unrecognized – is more dangerous than simple greed.

They might be willing to play on an even playing field against disadvantaged individuals, smaller companies, or poorer nations. But as soon as they start losing the Desperation to Win, Succeed, and Overcome kicks in and they do whatever it takes to avoid Failure. This obsession in a nation with enormous natural resources must add up to excessive, toxic wealth.


Compelled by such fear, they do not realize they fit the Lord’s description: "wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked." Europeans regard us with a pitying amazement; they wonder, “Why do Americans act like that?”


That fear of losing also inspires a dread of immigrants, who are often hardworking, ambitious people with strong family values, traditional Catholic beliefs, and a willingness to work hard in thankless jobs. Instead, many Americans rally around demagogues who accuse immigrants of crime, despite the evidence. They blame "illegal aliens" for homegrown terrorism, and would rid themselves of evil by expelling defenseless people. We have an obvious need for low income workers but shudder at sharing space with them.


These attitudes disgust the Spirit of Revelation who says, “I will spit you out of my mouth.”


The Lord urges us to “buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich.” Fratelli Tutti describes an economy, guided by skilled politicians, based on love. Christians and Catholics, especially, should recognize their entrenched fear of loss and gently set it aside as they make their political and economic decisions. Faced with a catastrophe born of irrational obsessions, we should crave the Lord’s heavenly wealth which is stored where neither rust corrodes nor moth consumes. It cannot be lost to swindlers, bad loans, or bank defaults; and is infinitely more secure and satisfying than anything this poor earth can offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.