Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fifth Sunday of Easter

“After all these years of marriage,” a woman told me in the family room by the ICU, “I finally understand what it means. It means being with him.”


Very often that’s all we can do, all we should do, and all that is required. Jesus stayed with us throughout his life, never wishing he were somewhere else, never fantasizing about the perks the Roman authorities or Jewish priests enjoyed. He did not flee from poverty or shame or guilt as he embraced his human life.

Being fully here with us, he did what comes naturally to human beings, he helped others. When we hear him say, “As I have loved you, so you should love one another.” we might think, "What should I do?" But we should notice first he was happy to be here. No one can be helpful to a situation if he isn’t willing to be in the situation.

We might say, “Well Jesus had a choice, and having the choice made it easier for him. I have no choice but to stay where I am and endure what I must.” But you have a choice and that’s about your attitude. Are you willing to be here with disappointment and frustration or do you wish you were somewhere else? And, what makes you so sure Jesus could walk away from us? He had made his choice, as you and I have; and he lived with it.

Being with others through hard times means not saying: I told you so; here’s what you should do; think about it this way; it’s your own fault; or you’ll get over it. You should probably not say, “Some good will come of this; God has a plan; or Be strong!”

It’s usually better to say nothing. You cannot explain the ways of God, don’t try. You cannot defend God; God doesn’t need defenders.

But you might say in silence, as God says, “I am here.” People often appreciate attention, especially when it comes with support and without judgment. (In fact they’re using dogs in hospitals now to support depressed patients. Dogs give no advice and offer no opinions. That's why people love them.)

As I have remained with you in your sorrow, disappointment, shame, fear and helplessness; as I stay with you through your satisfaction, joy, contentment, pleasure and ecstasy -- remain with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.