Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday of the Seventh Week of Easter


Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived
when each of you will be scattered to his own home
and you will leave me alone.
Saint John has made another reference to the homes in Jerusalem. The Sanhedrin, having chastened Nicodemus for his open mindedness, went each to his own house (7:53). They too, were scattered as they abandoned the Lord.
Scattered to their homes, his disciples will reunite not in grief over the death of Jesus. Helpless with fear, not even his burial could bring them together. They are prey to that human instinct which says, “Someone else will take care of it.” The disciples may boast of their courage but cannot actually move.
Finally, the Holy Spirit of Jesus draws them back into fellowship with one another. The same Spirit draws us from our homes today, despite whatever discouragement we face within our hearts, despite whatever contempt we meet from non-believers. There has never been a shortage of critics who accuse us of foolish blind faith, but neither is there a shortage of need among our neighbors, friends and family to hear, see, taste, touch, smell and know the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.