Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday of the Seventh Week of Easter

Can one read these words without feeling both Jesus’ intense affection for his disciples and his great anxiety as he leaves them? He will be dead by the following evening, yet his concern is for his disciples, not himself. Jesus knows the perfect love of God; he is one with the Father in heart and mind and substance. They’re apartness is only in their “persons,” without which there could be no love to bind them.


In this prayer Jesus prays that each of us will be joined with him and with the Father in that same intense, all-consuming embrace of love. He would share with us the privileges of divinity, especially its joy -- so that they may share my joy completely.

Hearing of this divine joy, I think of the astonishing pictures we have seen from the Hubble Space Telescope. I think of the recent documentary Ocean and its amazing undersea cinematography; and of the delightful movie, now showing, called Babies. You really don’t have to go very far to see God’s pleasure. He looked upon all that he had made and saw that it was very good.

The pleasure we take in God’s beauty binds us to every form of life on earth, and to the earth itself. In fact we share communion with everyone who loves life.

It is impossible that the prayer of Jesus will not be effective. As we experience the privilege and pleasure of being earthlings with Christ, his prayer is satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.