Saturday, May 29, 2010

Saturday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

As Jesus walked in the temple area, his opponents demanded to know by what authority he taught. If I am fainting with thirst and someone gives me cool, clear water should I ask, “By what authority are you doing these things?”


But “politics” is both real and necessary. No one can live alone; we depend on one another for survival and necessarily we must work together. We are tied to one another like the pendants on a mobile. When one person changes, everyone changes; when one person adjusts everyone around him must make adjustments.


When the Son of God appears in our world you’d better expect major adjustments in every department of religion, government, economics, society and private life. Today’s gospel reflects how difficult it is for all of us.



Jesus’ opponents demand an explanation, “By what authority do you do these things?” In yesterday’s gospel we saw him angrily upending tables and releasing animals and causing havoc in the peaceful economy of the temple area. They recognize him as something other than a madman; but they do not know what to make of him. Jesus has acted like a prophet, disturbing the peace of the holy city.

But he will not answer them. He simply demands of them, “By what authority did John baptize?” Constrained by certain political realities, they cannot answer him.
Authority – we might as well admit it -- is not always reasonable, nor does it always have verifiable credentials. It is simply there.
Jesus has arrived at his destination, that is Jerusalem; he will soon be crucified. He forces us as he forced the people of his time – do you believe in me? Every generation until the end of time must make its choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.