Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter


“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.
No matter how well intentioned “the world” is, it cannot give the true peace that comes from God. It does not have the vision to understand such peace, nor the authority to give it. Peace is a light which the darkness can neither perceive nor overcome, and so it stands flummoxed before us.
I see men and women in the congregation who enjoy this peace. I think most are not fully aware of it. It comes over them as they pray. Their eyes are intent; their faces, soft; their posture, relaxed but attentive. They have surrendered to the rhythms of our prayer as they stand, kneel and sit; as they listen, sing, and read. There is pleasure in their expression because they love the Eucharist and the Word of God.
Meanwhile, the world says, “You’ll have peace when…” You have to buy it, work for it, or take moral risks for it. You’ll have peace when you own this home, car or appliance. You’ll have peace when you are married, divorced, or widowed. You’ll have peace when you smoke, drink or recover your health. You’ll have peace when you find the right person. The world’s peace is always outside us; it cannot penetrate within.
Christ’s peace costs much less and much more than the world’s peace. It costs more because we surrender the pursuit of all those other things. They offered only frustration.
We learn to let God provide for us day by day as we follow his will. It costs much less because Jesus has paid the price for us and he gives it freely. It’s as close as the manna at our feet; it flows as freely as his blood down the cross.
Jesus’ peace is the “first fruits” of the Holy Spirit. It comes while we’re not looking for it, while we’re simply paying attention to our Good God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.