Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time



Jesus once said we should be as innocent as babes and as wise as serpents. This first letter from Saint Peter teaches us how to do that:
Like newborn infants, long for pure spiritual milk so that through it you may grow into salvation, for you have tasted that the Lord is good.

I confess I resisted that kind of innocence. The entertainment media seem to prefer the “with-it” priest or nun who can “get down” with the kids and talk their language. I often hear from the veterans about this or that priest who was happy to drink a beer with them.
Well fine, but I can’t go that route any more; nor do most of the people I meet in our Church. We can’t tell a Tequila Sunrise from a Miami Vice, nor a reefer from a joint. We are innocent of most kinds of carnal knowledge and show little curiosity about it. The Holy Spirit does not direct our attention much beyond there.

Our smarts concern that which the entertainment media finds bow-ring, just as we find most television worse than boring. Speaking as one Christian, I can read books and memorize poems and have occasionally needle-pointed tapestries but don’t have the patience to watch television. Even breathing is more entertaining than most entertainment. And watching the grass grow in downtown Mount Saint Francis is downright exciting.

You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood,
a holy nation, a people of his own,
so that you may announce the praises of him
who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Once you were no people
but now you are God’s people;
you had not received mercy
but now you have received mercy.

Beloved, I urge you as aliens and sojourners…

As sojourners, we are not called to be very comfortable in this world; but we still should make others feel comfortable with us. Entering our homes, churches, schools and hearts they find refuge from the violence out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.